Saturday, September 6, 2008

Rock rebel in training

My older twin was listening to the radio, supposedly doing homework in my office, while I washed the dinner dishes. Suddenly he started laughing.
"HA hahaha. That is so weird! Why did he say that? 'You can't have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!' Who does this song?" Henry asked.
Finally. FINALLY! All my years of listening to classic rock had broken through to one of them, and here was the segue I had been waiting for.
"Yeah, that's Pink Floyd," I said coolly as I rinsed a skillet. "That's a really old song, you know. I think it came out when I was about your age."
I should have known he'd love that anthem, "We Don't Need No Education," from their album The Wall. I'm sensing a rebellious tendency in that one, who's usually my "by the book" kid. When he got an Ipod Nano for his birthday in July, he said one of the first songs he wanted to download was "that song 'Teenage Wasteland' by that band The Who."
Instantly I flashed back to the early 80s, when I was really getting into music. My dad had always had a lot of albums he'd let me listen to if I was very VERY careful, and I never got tired of spinning that rotating cover on Led Zeppelin III or trying to figure out who all the people were on the cover of Sgt. Pepper. So when I would see a video of a song I loved on MTV, I'd yell at my dad to "come see this awesome new song omigosh I love this song you have got to hear it wait no here it is wait listen to this part."
This was back when they actually showed videos on MTV and you might only be embarrassed by the production quality, not the vulgarity.
Inevitably my dad would be all, "Oh, yeah, he dances just like James Brown." Or "Meh, they sound just like The Beatles." Hearing that made me a little less excited about the song but more inclined to seek out the links on the rock-and-roll DNA chain.
So it was with measured restraint that I informed Henry that his favorite "new" song was ACTUALLY called "Baba O'Riley," and how The Who was a band that you really needed to SEE performing, like a Shakespeare play, to appreciate the impact. I think I was halfway through my exposition of how I read somewhere that Pete Townsend wrote the song about people who complain about the world's problems but don't do anything about them when I noticed that Henry had already left the room.
He was probably thinking, "It's rock music, lady. Don't overthink it."

4 comments:

srburgin said...

My moment was when Walker "introduced" me to this great group he'd found. . . it was Yes

AH said...

My 15 year old son's "new" idol is Bruce Springsteen. His dad is so proud.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jill,

I just read a few of your blogs. you are so funny. I especially loved this one since my 17 year old when he was about 12 began listening to Pink Floyd and The Who. My husband was thrilled! A Springsteen fan myself I keep trying to push Bruce but have yet to win. I thought when it was announced that Springsteen was going to play at the Superbowl this year he was in. But when I joyfully reported this info to my son and his buddies, they just looked at me and said great in a sacastic this is not great tone.

Oh well at least I didnt have to spend a 110 on a ticket for my son when I went to see Bruce last month :)

Looking forward to meeting you at the workshop

Donna Teti

Mary Jensen said...

Hi Jill,

I just remember us going ga-ga for Sting (his birthday is in a few weeks, you know) and being a few of the only kids listening to the likes of REM, U2, Psychedelic Furs and Echo & the Bunnymen before alternative music was main stream.

Do you remember the Synchronicity tour and our Poster that read "I'm so hungry for you" in French?

Ahhh, the good ole days!

Mary

 
Creative Commons License
Seafood Chicken by Jill Burgin is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.