Friday, September 26, 2008

Live from where?

It is so weird to hear NBC's Brian Williams say, "Reporting live from Mississippi for the presidential debate." I can't wait to see how the news media deal with this. If the drive from Batesville to Oxford along Highway 278 doesn't kill them.

I love Mississippi. Most of my ancestors are from there. And Oxford is lovely, a genteel oasis on that boring highway. I actually am glad they chose the middle of Mississippi for the first debate because mainstream reporters will be forced to see firsthand that we do exist. I mean "we" as in the small-town South. As a teenager, I remember reading fashion or bride magazines with designer ads that list retail stores in each state where the clothing is sold. They'd have Miami and Boca, which are not the South. Then Texas would be well represented, but as they say, Texas is like a whole other country. It was as if the only Southern city that existed was Atlanta, and there were a whole lot of us who didn't get to Atlanta very often.

Actually, Nashville has come a long way, and I'm not doing that much designer shopping anyway. Besides, I really don't know if I want the secret of our greatness to be shared worldwide.

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
Seafood Chicken by Jill Burgin is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.