Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Agritourism Update




My tomato cages finally succumbed to the Better Boy tomatoes. You'd better not try to cage those Better Boys! What I'd like to know is when are the Better Boys ever going to go ahead and turn red?! We've all grown so tired of waiting that I've just been plucking them and frying the green ones.
Last summer was the first year I ever planted vegetables. I had three squash plants and two tomato plants of some variety that I can't recall. I only know they only produced about 12 maters total. And I got mad when the prickly squash plants poked my kids as they tried to "harvest" them, so I vowed never to plant squash again. Revenge is a dish best served with melted butter and cracker crumbs. The boys don't eat squash anyway!
Hence the two Better Boy tomato plants.
One thing that acted right in my garden this year was the one peony plant. I don't like to get too ambitious, you know. After hanging around three years, deigning to bloom once, this year the peony produced bloom after bloom, all spectacular. I'd love to take credit, but in truth I'd forgotten about it over the winter.
My other foray into botanic futility sits on the sill over my kitchen sink and reminds me of the "wonders" of nature countless times each day. The two flower pots are the size of shot glasses, and the Easter Bunny brought them. Way back in April. They are supposed to be strawberries, but they are the no-growingest plants I have ever encountered. The boys faithfully water them, but I don't see us pulling in a bushel of strawberries this season.
Those pots will make decent votive holders.

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
Seafood Chicken by Jill Burgin is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.