Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Five-Oh Plus Club

WHY OH WHY OH WHY do I go to Kroger on Senior Day? I mean no disrespect to senior citizens, of course, because on lots of days I feel like I already inhabit that demographic. I am just WAY too impatient to grocery shop with that many people who are not in as big a hurry as I am.
My goal when Krogering is to get in, get stuff, get out. If I forget and go on Wednesday, though, I have to build in an extra 10 or 15 minutes. After dodging the vans from the various assisted-living facilities nearby, I must kindly sidestep the big lady who's test-driving the motorized buggy as well as navigate the multitudes of slow-moving carts like I'm in a life-size version of Frogger.
Everything in Kroger is ten times harder for old folks, and it makes me sad. Some can't reach the stuff on the higher shelves. Many can't read the aisle signs, the price tags or the food labels. They can't get the plastic produce bags open. (Actually, I can't do this either.) If a senior couple goes together, the husband who's relegated to pushing the buggy and watching the purse usually looks pretty miserable. Then the lady stops to talk to a long-lost friend and forgets what she is doing on that aisle.
Once I realize what I've walked into, like today, I get over myself and offer assistance to whoever asks for it. But I also get a glimpse into the lives of some of them who can't do stuff I take for granted, like yell for a husband or an able-bodied child to open a stubborn jar for me.
Today, for instance, while I paused to choose from the perplexing varieties of chicken broth, I heard two ladies who apparently live alone discussing how difficult it is to open a can of soup with a screwdriver.
I wanted to run run RUN home. One lady giggled as if it were just another daily inconvenience, like changing the toilet paper roll, then asked me if I could reach the tomato soup for her. I should have offered to get her a can opener as well.
I'll tell you one thing. I'm well on my way to being one crabby old lady.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jill,
My mom opens her soup cans with a screwdriver. Her birthday was yesterday and she is 82. Thanks for getting the can of soup for her. She is just thrilled she figured out how to open the can of soup! Funny how they all come up with the same ideas. Getting old only stinks if you have no sense of humor and no caring people walking down the aisles at Kroger! Great Blog. BTW, I added the link to your blog to my Facebook!

 
Creative Commons License
Seafood Chicken by Jill Burgin is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.